Siouan tongue twisters?

George Wilmes george.wilmes at GMAIL.COM
Wed Nov 13 22:32:58 UTC 2013

Hi Saul,

In the ancient and venerable Colorado Siouan Archive, there is something
very similar in one of Lowie's word lists, which was keypunched as follows:

1 TSIPAPU*':C
2 CHIPMUNK, SQUIRREL
3 NOUN
4 TSIPAPU*':C ITSU*':P BAKU*TA BACO*':RITSI'HTSE ASA*'HKA
  RU*':P DU*TSE O':PI*': ICDE R"E*'6XE
5 THE CHIPMUNK ALONGSIDE OF A SHINBONE GETS HOLD OF BOTH SIDES
  OF A MEDICINE-ROCK AND SMOKES WITH A GLOSSY EYE
  (A TONGUE-TWISTER, TOLD BY +MAX +BIG-MAN)

I believe the source for that transcription was this book:

http://www.ucpress.edu/op.php?isbn=9780520007741

Here is the particular page in the book:

http://books.google.com/books?id=27TpGhZ9dWoC&pg=PA164&dq=lowie+crow+word+lists+chipmunk&hl=en&sa=X&ei=T_2DUu7gENSA2QWuoICwDw&ved=0CC8Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=lowie%20crow%20word%20lists%20chipmunk&f=false