The two meanings of wakan.

Cal Thunder Hawk calthunderhawk at GMAIL.COM
Tue Nov 19 20:01:04 UTC 2013

I found "Tutelo Classification-1.pdf" very, very helpful, about "wakan".
Thank you.
Regarding "wakan", Victor Douville, who teaches at Sinte Gleska University
on the Rosebud Sioux Indian reservation, made the following statement in a
2007 shockwave flash presentation, "Lakota Thought and Philosophy: A
Universal View": "The term Wakan is controversially translated as sacred in
an all embracing context.  It is in a certain context that this term can
mean sacred but it cannot be applied to everything because everything would
be sacred.  Hence, this term means something else, other than wakan, if it
is applied to everything.  A case in point is the term wakankan s'a (a
liar).  Wakankan literally means double sacred, if the term is translated
as sacred.
"Christian interpretation of wakan has stubbornly retained the meaning to
be sacred and it has persisted to this day."
Also, regarding this word, in the mid-80s, at USD, the Lakhota language
teacher there, Robert Bunge (with his informant Seth Noisey), translated
"wakan" as "something ancient" as a compound of "wa-" and "kan" (to be old).
So, there has been that kind of confusion regarding this particular word.
Bunge and Noisey have since died.  Several months ago I wrote to Douville
with questions about his statements but he has not replied yet.
I would deeply appreciate any input about "wakankan s'a" as "a liar" and
"wakankan" as "double sacred".
Thank you.

Cal Thunder Hawk
https://www.facebook.com/calthunderhawk