town

David Costa pankihtamwa at EARTHLINK.NET
Sat Oct 5 18:46:23 UTC 2013

Basically, yes: Fox o·te·weni, Shawnee hoteewe, Ojibwe oodena, Cree o·te·naw, Munsee Delaware o·té·nay, Western Abenaki odana, Passamaquoddy uten, etc. There's some messiness with the ending and some languages seem to undo the contraction, but it's been tentatively reconstructed as Proto-Algonquian *o·te·weni 'village'.

Dave