wanonscopakmik

shokooh Ingham shokoohbanou at YAHOO.CO.UK
Mon Oct 7 10:36:16 UTC 2013

Yes it does thank you.  In fact my friend over in America had corrected my spelling.  I always mistake an American pronunciation of -o- for an -a- .  I was once introduced to a Lakota lady called "Bonny Black Bear" and wondered why she was called "Barny".  The same mistake.  The name is mentioned in Bright and is said to mean "rocks at the bend in the lake" in Mohican.

Bruce

________________________________
 From: George Wilmes <george.wilmes at GMAIL.COM>
To: SIOUAN at listserv.unl.edu
Sent: Sunday, 6 October 2013, 21:51
Subject: Re: wanonscopakmik

Hi Bruce, I see on Google Maps that there is a lake called "Wononskopomuc" just south of Lakeville, Connecticut. Does that spelling help? (I don't have Bright's dictionary.)

The usgs.gov site has a great place-name lookup facility, but it is currently down due to the government shutdown.

On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 10:51 AM, shokooh Ingham <shokoohbanou at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

Thanks Bob,
>Yes, as you say, I am catching up on a huge backlog, all very interesting.  I have been over in Connecticut for three weeks and couldn't use the internet for fear of upsetting my hosts computer, both of us being novices.  Anyway it's all very interesting. I managed to look up the local mountain range , the takonic range, and found in Bright's dictionary that it is from tahkenek 'in the woods', e meaning shewa, and is probably Mohican.  However I was not able to find the local lake 'Lakeville lake', which I was told was called wanonscopamik. It looks like a good Algonquian work, but I couldn't find anything similar in Bright.  Any ideas anyone?
>Bruce

 Valley Siouan GL or BL.  Accent in these words DOES in fact fall on the initial syllable in all but Dakotan, exactly as you predict it should.  It's only Dakota that's changed.