Otoe-Missouria term for "gun"

Saul Schwartz sschwart at PRINCETON.EDU
Thu Oct 10 19:41:47 UTC 2013

Hi Sky,
I think by radical he means that the /y/ is part of the word's root rather
than just a result of /i/ + /u/ coming together. His reasoning is that the
Hocąk cognate has /zh/ between /i/ and /u/, and /zh/ is not naturally
euphonious in that location. Thus, he also expects whatever is in the
equivalent place of the Chiwere word, the /y/ between the /i/ and /u/, to
be part of the word itself rather than surface euphony. Whether or not
Dorsey is correct, I don't know, but I believe that's what he's saying and
the reasoning for it. Btw, Helmbrecht and Lehmann in their dictionary have *
wiižúk* for 'gun' in Hocąk.
-Saul