Otoe-Missouria term for "gun"

Rankin, Robert L. rankin at KU.EDU
Fri Oct 11 20:21:50 UTC 2013

I don't know if Dhegiha will help, but 'shoot' in all of its meanings is kkuje and 'gun' is wahóttą, i.e., something that makes a loud characteristic noise.  In some of the Eastern Siouan languages 'gun' is the same as 'bow'.

Bob

________________________________

That makes perfect sense!  I’ll do some digging but what immediately comes to mind is our term for August which is Huma Yochiŋe (Elk Whistle).  Wistrand-Robinson (1972) has “iyóje”.  Jimm’s dictionary has several variants of this.  I’ll see what else I can find.

As far as “shoot” we have a couple.  First is the basic “kuje” (seems to match your “guuc”) but I haven’t seen that specifically used as far as shooting a gun but rather shoot in general or shooting a bow.  That isn’t to say that “kuje” by itself can’t be used to indicate shooting a gun…I just haven’t come across a specific precedent yet.  However, I do have the term “iyujį kuje” to mean shooting a gun.  Then again, I also have “ma kuje” to specifically say to shoot with an arrow.  So based on that, I would think that “kuje” would be ok by itself to indicate shooting in general in conversation but you can specify if need be.

Our term for a war club is “wirujį/wirojį” which looks to be wa- (something) + i- (with) + ru- (by hand) + ujį (hit/strike).

Thank you very much for this!

Sky Campbell, B. A.
Language Director
Otoe-Missouria Tribe
580-723-4466 ext. 111
sky at omtribe.org

From: Siouan Linguistics [mailto:SIOUAN at listserv.unl.edu] On Behalf Of Iren Hartmann
Sent: Friday, October 11, 2013 3:19 AM
To: SIOUAN at listserv.unl.edu
Subject: Re: Otoe-Missouria term for "gun"

Hi Sky,

the Hoocąk term wiižuk comes from the word žuuk (or žuužuk), which means "loud whistle". This word is used to describe the kind of sounds male elks make during mating season. Wiižuk = wa-hi-žuuk = somthing one emits a powerful whistle with.

What is the word for shoot in IOM? In Hoocąk it’s guuc and a gun may occasionally be referred to as wiiguc (something one shoots with) as well.

The Hoocąk word hojį ’hit’ can also be derived in the same way (wiirojį = wa-hi-hojį) to form a noun, but it doesn’t mean ’gun’ but rather ’bat’ as in ’baseball bat’.

Best,
Iren