F.Y.I. RE: PLURAL VS DUAL

Jimm G. GoodTracks jgoodtracks at GMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 14 01:23:36 UTC 2013

This I found from linguist Lila Wistrand Robinson’s definitive statement on the dual plural “-wi” and the regular plural “-ñe.”

This said, and I quote:

         [NOTE: For only two items or persons, the verb suffix “-wi” indicating third person dual “two” or “they two” is added to the noun or its modifier in the identification sentence or description sentence.  “Chéxga núwewi ke/ki,  They are ~ there are two cows.”  Without using the number “núwe” (two), only using “-wi”, we know we are talking about two items.  “Warújewi ke/ki, They are ~ there are two tables.”  The dual “-wi” and plural “-ñe” of third person identification or description are not used with nouns or noun phrases in any other position (subject, object, location, etc.), for they have no plural suffix.  “Amína núwe hagúnda ke/ki,  I want two chair.” (LWR)].