Looking for "thunder" and "lightning" information

Mcbride, Justin jtmcbri at OSTATEMAIL.OKSTATE.EDU
Mon Oct 28 20:36:20 UTC 2013

Sky,

The Ks term that Dorsey writes as "Lu" is more properly lo (or maybe loo --
you'd have to ask Bob about the vowel length on this one). Dorsey writes
most instances of KS /o/ with the grapheme u, presumably because of his
long-standing OP influence or maybe 'cos it's articulated a little higher
than English /o/. I can also say that Ks and Os /l/ in the most modern
period is a reflex of some velar plus some approximant, probably *gl in the
case of Ks, as can be seen in certain conservative names like gledaN,
'hawk.' So, lo is probably a reflex of *glo, which is surely cognate with
Maximilian's IOM "gron," though I can't account for the presence or absence
of nasalization. That said, in Ks, lo definitely refers not to thunder, but
to what Dorsey calls the "Thuder-being," probably the thunder bird, and the
respective clan named after said being. Now, when added to hottaN,
'characteristic sound,' you get lohottaN, 'thunder,' which literally refers
to the characteristic sound of the thunder bird. I know nothing about *lo
li or *lo lu in Ks; if it exists, it's news to me. But that's all I got,
and I'm not around a dictionary right now.

All the best,
-Justin