Aho!

Rankin, Robert L. rankin at KU.EDU
Thu Sep 5 00:36:30 UTC 2013

Guys,

I'll try to get around to gathering all this discussion together and digesting it tomorrow or the next day.  There's quite a bit to digest.  Jill did a paper at the Siouan conference in Lawrence about 15 months ago that covered a lot of this territory.  I don't remember the details of it, but maybe she'll jump in.

I do remember that Ho Chank has what has been called a single pronoun, written nin, that means both/either 'I' and/or 'you'.  I believe that the 1st and 2nd person pronouns here are actually homonyms and that they had two distinct etymological sources.  I'll try to figure out the dual/plural pronominal prefixes soon.

Bob

________________________________
From: Siouan Linguistics [SIOUAN at listserv.unl.edu] on behalf of Jimm G. GoodTracks [jgoodtracks at GMAIL.COM]
Sent: Wednesday, September 04, 2013 3:13 PM
To: SIOUAN at listserv.unl.edu
Subject: Re: Aho!

I know you have your mind set on "jump on ~ in" something, but how about some other sentences to see how it plays out.  Mark's material below is interesting.  Now I wonder how it plays out in Kaw, Osage?   Is IOM unique in having a different order for:  "he jumps on them (boys) ~ wát^anwe" [wa + a + t^ánwe] and "He jumped in (the middle of the people) ~ wót^amwe [wa + u + t^ánwe].

What says the Dhegiha folks?  Does all the rest of the Dhegiha languages follow suit with the Omaha?  Can Iren and Johannes state if the Hochank follow with the Jiwere?  Or with the Dhegiha?