Locatives and wa- problems.

Rankin, Robert L. rankin at KU.EDU
Mon Sep 9 01:11:29 UTC 2013

> Bob, I know you and John probably told me about this 20 years ago, but which Siouan language is mitákopa from? That one's pretty blatant, since it's all over Algonquian and it has a clear etymology ("wood string") in that family.

That's Dakotan.  But all the Mississippi Valley Siouan languages plus Tutelo have some version of this loan, probably from different Algonquian dialects.  I think Hochunk is mąčgú and may well be from Menomini.  It is underlying Hochunk mątkú.  I also talk about 'bow' in that Histories of Maize paper.

I suspect that "nine" word is ultimately borrowed from Algonquian into Siouan (and not the other way around), but its etymology isn't totally clean in Algonquian, either. Rich and I took a stab at that one in our paper for the Frank Siebert festscrift.

Yes, I read it.  You and Rich may be right.  Ives and I have gone back and forth over this.  When I last talked with him about it he took the view that Algonquian borrowed it from Siouan and I took the opposite view.  I guess neither family wants the poor orphan.

> This is the first I've heard that Hochunk ní for first person is from Algonquian -- what would the word be expected to be in Hochunk, based on Chiwere and Proto-Siouan?

Proto-Siouan for 1st sg.agentive was probably *wa-.  It has allomorphs *b-, p-, m-.  and in Chiwere-Winnebago evolved into *ha-.  In Dhegiha *a-.  There is no trace of any 1st person  ni- in Siouan anywhere except in Hochunk (Winnebago).

> Also, wasn't Ojibwe ogichidaa 'warrior' borrowed into Dakotan?

In Kaw (Kansa) and other Dhegiha dialects it's akkida, so I'm guessing it's native to Siouan and borrowed by Ojibwe.  Does it have an Algonquian etymology?  If so, it's another shankka conundrum.