Borrowings.

Rankin, Robert L. rankin at KU.EDU
Tue Sep 10 00:48:40 UTC 2013

> I recall John Koontz mentioning some other forms to me – items for ‘cucumber’ from French concombre, and also ttapuska ‘student, teacher’ which is shared by Dhegiha and Pawnee.  I don’t know about ‘hau’ but Comanche ‘aho’ (hello) is supposed to come from Kiowa.

Allan Taylor did a comprehensive "how" count at one point.  I don't think he ever published results though.  'Cucumber' begins with kko the PSI root for 'gourd', so it may be a borrowing or it may be a coincidence again.  'Pig' is definitely from French.

> Shankka also has reflexes in Western Muskogean (Choctaw and Chickasaw)

Maybe.  The word is čákkáàli and -ali is an ending all right.  It is borrowed into Biloxi as čkane I think.

Note the Tutelo and Ofo terms. Tutelo has ḳasą́hka, so it is definitely in the shankka zone.

Ofo kíštatǝška Sw kĭ´ctatạcga — nine; p. 325.  Some words where š is expected turn up with št instead.  So this may contain some variant of shankka somehow.  The prefix with k mirrors Tutelo to an extent but the sound correspondences aren't quite right.

So this peculiar term for '9' turns up in Chiwere, Dhegiha, Tutelo and maybe Ofo.  There are partial look-alikes in Western Muskogean and Biloxi.  So it's not just around the Great Lakes region in Siouan, but there's no trace in the Northwest of Siouan.