Lakota phonetics

De Reuse, Willem WillemDeReuse at MY.UNT.EDU
Tue Sep 10 02:23:44 UTC 2013

Thanks for the interesting comments, Bob.

And thanks for your input, David. Yes, this is indeed what I also find.  If Bob was correct about Lakota stress rules, then the numerous verbs with blu-, glu-, bla- gla-, would have stress on the first syllable, but they don't.

I think I am not Eurocentric about my phonology, though.  (After all, the first class in good ole American phonology I ever took, as a young wide-eyed European whippersnapper, was with you, Bob.)  The Eurocentrics are the ones who gave us Minnesota for mnisota, etc.  I admit to being a Lakotacentric sort of Siouanist.  But I think you, Bob, are of the Dhegihacentric sort!  ;-)

Willem
________________________________
From: Siouan Linguistics [SIOUAN at listserv.unl.edu] on behalf of Rankin, Robert L. [rankin at KU.EDU]
Sent: Monday, September 09, 2013 8:51 PM
To: SIOUAN at listserv.unl.edu
Subject: Re: Lakota phonetics

I can't really speak for Dakotan, but in Dhegiha my recollection of words beginning with organic bl- (i.e. not 1sg conjugated verbs) accent the initial syllable, Bloga, blaska, blekka, and dozens of others. You just don't find a lot of *blVC(C)v'. I'm not as certain about reflexes of GL as they all lose their G in Osage and Kaw. I'm not counting forms with prefixes like wanblAke in Dakota altho' it matches my analysis.  I think it might be an interesting experiment to do a dictionary count in both Dakotan and Dhegiha.  Maybe I'm totally wrong about the accentual pattern; I'm working from memory here.

And we're gonna HAVE to get you away from that antiquated email program you use and into Unicode, Dude.