BL accent patterns. The real results.

Rory Larson rlarson1 at UNL.EDU
Wed Sep 11 00:28:37 UTC 2013

Ø   Thanks for looking at the *GL set.  I concentrated on the BL set in 4 languages and found almost exactly what I said last evening.  If you have a chance to look at the BDH pattern in Omaha, it would be very welcome.  Here are the results from the other languages:

Here you go.  I count about 10 or 11 distinct words that are at least three primordial syllables long.  All of them take their accent on the first second syllable, which confirms your pattern.

Now I’m wondering what your model is for the accent when the *GL or *BL is preceded by a syllable.  Second syllable accent would land on a squeezed out schwa, which presumably nobody wants to accent.  If the accent then jumps to the primordial third syllable (as I think it would—correct me if I’m mistaken), wouldn’t that support the view that speakers at that point consider primordial third syllable to be synchronic second syllable?

Also, granted that most *GL and *BL initial words take their accent on the primordial second syllable immediately following these clusters, how does that show that speakers still perceive the sequence as two syllables?  If the accent started out on the second syllable, and the vowel of the first syllable goes away by syncope, we continue accenting the same vowel we always have.  But why should that mean that synchronically we still consider it to be second syllable rather than first syllable?

Best,
Rory

bràra - spread-out

brāska - flat

brēe-tʰe - ante (the money you put up)

brēe-tʰe-uágihi - I broke even (e.g. in a card game); I won back what I ante'd

brēexe - pelican (American white pelican)

brēkka - thin

brēkka-žiⁿga - silver half dime

brìppe - powder (e.g. powdered milk or flour)

brìška - plump; (fat and round, like a tomato that is wider than it is tall.
         You see some people who have this shape too.)

brīⁿra - flaps that open and close

brōⁿ - smell; odor; (can be either stinky or nice)

brōⁿxe - not big; real branchy; full; leafy

brōⁿze - petite; slender; small

brūga - all of them; all of it; everything; everyone; (e.g. everything in
        this room.  This can be for animate beings or inanimate objects, and
        is not strictly pinned down to an exclusive set); (spread out round
        and flat)