Lakota phonetics

Rankin, Robert L. rankin at KU.EDU
Fri Sep 13 15:57:35 UTC 2013

> Bob, I don't think you should discount first person inflected forms, since
the accent always moves forward as we add prefixes. If "bluhA" were three
syllables, we'd have to stress it blUha.

That's true, and I'd have expected Dakotan blúha, núha, yuhá.  I take it that doesn't happen, and Dakota has moved accent rightward an extra syllable?

Kansa keeps it exactly where it is on all the BL lexemes, so yüzé ‘to get, obtain’ is conjugated 1sg blǘze, 2sg hnǘze, 3sg yüzáabe, 1pl ąyǘzaabe.  I assume other Dhegiha dialects keep accent the same.