source of GL (was BL accent patterns)

De Reuse, Willem WillemDeReuse at MY.UNT.EDU
Fri Sep 13 16:01:51 UTC 2013

I agree with you, Jan.  This is the construction often called the "reflexive possessive", rather than just the possessive, to emphasise the subject is the possessor.

Not sure how ki-ka- became gla-, historically there must have been reanalysis by analogy of some sort...

Willem
________________________________
From: Siouan Linguistics [SIOUAN at listserv.unl.edu] on behalf of Jan Ullrich [jfu at LAKHOTA.ORG]
Sent: Friday, September 13, 2013 2:55 AM
To: SIOUAN at listserv.unl.edu
Subject: Re: source of GL (was BL accent patterns)

Rory,

If the proposed etymology of míyoglas’iŋ is correct then what is involved is a possessive, rather than a vertitive, I think.
In possessive forms the instrumental prefix ka- becomes gla-, as in:

kaksá ‘to cut sth’ --> glaksá ‘to cut one’s own’
kahíŋta ‘to sweep sth’ –> glahíŋta ‘to sweep one’s own’
okáštaŋ ‘to pour sth into’ --> ogláštaŋ ‘to pour one’s own into’

This is why I think that oglás’iŋ (possessive) comes from okás’iŋ, although the former is not used as an independent lexical unit. It is not uncommon, however, that possessives (and other forms) of some verbs are used only in compounds.

I think that historically the gla- form originates from the combination of the prefix ki- with the instrumental ka-. I hope that colleagues who have been working on the diachronic analyses will correct me if this is not the case.

Jan