Lakota phonetics

De Reuse, Willem WillemDeReuse at MY.UNT.EDU
Fri Sep 13 16:10:11 UTC 2013

Willem's comments below.
________________________________
From: Siouan Linguistics [SIOUAN at listserv.unl.edu] on behalf of Rankin, Robert L. [rankin at KU.EDU]
Sent: Friday, September 13, 2013 10:57 AM
To: SIOUAN at listserv.unl.edu
Subject: Re: Lakota phonetics

> Bob, I don't think you should discount first person inflected forms, since
the accent always moves forward as we add prefixes. If "bluhA" were three
syllables, we'd have to stress it blUha.

That's true, and I'd have expected Dakotan blúha, núha, yuhá.  I take it that doesn't happen, and Dakota has moved accent rightward an extra syllable?

Willem:  Good to see we agree on this. That is what you would expect, of Lakota bluha had three syllables.   So you would have to say that either bluha has two syllables, or that bluha has three syllables, and the third sylable is stressed.

Kansa keeps it exactly where it is on all the BL lexemes, so yüzé ‘to get, obtain’ is conjugated 1sg blǘze, 2sg hnǘze, 3sg yüzáabe, 1pl ąyǘzaabe.  I assume other Dhegiha dialects keep accent the same.

Willem: Great.  So you could say Kansa is more conservative...  Or you could say that the rule ordering was different.  Kansa applies 2nd syllable stress rule first, then drops the vowel, whereas Dakotan drops the vowel first, then applies 2nd syllable stress rule.