Locatives and wa- problems.

Rankin, Robert L. rankin at KU.EDU
Mon Sep 16 15:55:23 UTC 2013

Iren,

Thanks for this.  Comment follows.    Bob

> Hoocąk grizzly bear is mąąco (definitely with a voiceless affricate)

This is the word that has /th/ or the derivative /ch/ is ALL the Mississippi Valley Siouan languages.  So the /ch/ does NOT become IPA [ʤ] in this particular case even though these voiceless aspirates usually come up as voiced stops in Chiwere-Hochunk.  It's an interesting exception.  I'm guessing it's the same in Chiwere.

> As for cow elk, I’m not aware of there being a specific word for a female elk, generally elk is hųųwą

OK, that's the cognate that goes with Dhegiha oophą and it seems to show a reflex of what would have been /b/, as expected.  So 'elk' isn't exceptional.  In the plains languages it's usually 'cow elk' and the bull is something like he xaka.  Bob