BL accent patterns. The real results.

De Reuse, Willem WillemDeReuse at MY.UNT.EDU
Mon Sep 16 17:31:54 UTC 2013

Thanks very much for this, Bob.  It is clear that regarding 1dt person inflected Lakota verbs in yu- ya- etc. some restructuring went on.

It is good to notice, though, that some of the disyllabic stems stressed on the first syllable end in the ablauting -A, so according to the Dakota Stress Rule, they are stressed on a monosyllabic stem, since the Dakota Stress Rule applies, if I remember correctly, before the ablauting -A is added to a monosyllabic stem.

See for example:

mnúga Engl. to crunch, as a horse does in eating corn CLASS v. p. 340
mnux v. also cont. of mnuga E.g. mnuxmnúga CLASS v. red. of mnuga v. also mnuga v. also yamnúmnuga E.g. mnuxyéla ‘in a crunching way CLASS adv. p. 340

Buechel does not show ablauting -A consistently, but the New Lakota Dictionary does, so we have mnúgA.

Willem
________________________________
From: Siouan Linguistics [SIOUAN at listserv.unl.edu] on behalf of Rankin, Robert L. [rankin at KU.EDU]
Sent: Monday, September 16, 2013 10:38 AM
To: SIOUAN at listserv.unl.edu
Subject: Re: BL accent patterns. The real results.

I've had a couple of requests for my data sets from the various dictionaries, so here are the BL/BN/MN sets from 4 languages.  Rory says that Omaha matches the other Dhegiha sets.  These are nothing but the pertinent entries culled from lexica by Buechel, Quintero and Rankin for the 4 languages.

As David points out, the Dakotan data show clearly how phonological restructuring takes place.

Enjoy,

Bob