Alice translation

De Reuse, Willem WillemDeReuse at MY.UNT.EDU
Fri Apr 11 16:19:11 UTC 2014

Interesting discussion. I did not know about Alice in Wonderland. As someone who works on Apache, I get a lot of requests for translations, as Apache is one of these "iconic" Native American languages.

One has to pick and choose, if it is short and culturally appropriate, I generally agree to it. I remember once translating a short Jewish prayer into Apache. The Apaches liked it. After all Apaches, like Jews, know something about wandering about in the desert.

Then other requests have to be nixed, like the set of "Spring Break" phrases I once was asked to translate, things like "I am so drunk", and "where is the bathroom?".

Portions of the Bible have more appeal that the other four works. I add a link to a nice example. Thanks Jimm for this.

http://iowayotoelang.nativeweb.org/pdf/christmasstory.pdf

Another great Bible story that has been used for linguistic work is the Parable of Prodigal son, which has been recorded in many more versions than the New Testament itself, and probably second in number of translations to the Lord's Prayer.   One does not have to be a Christian to appreciate this parable is an awfully good story, of almost universal appeal, except maybe to vegans!

Willem