Here is a little curious inquiry for all of us to ponder

Rory Larson rlarson1 at UNL.EDU
Fri Apr 11 15:57:56 UTC 2014

Ø  "Curiouser and curiouser, cried Alice"
Actually, I don’t think the challenge is that unreasonable.  The context is simply that a person is encountering events that are increasingly strange, unusual and difficult to explain, and exclaiming upon that.  Such a situation could occur in any society.

The term ‘curious’ throws us, because its primary meaning in English is ‘eager to learn about something’.  But in this context, the meaning is ‘strange’ or ‘weird’.  For Omaha and Ponca, I think the appropriate term would probably be “àži” (“ázhi”), which also carries the meaning of ‘different’, as well as being used as the standard negator (‘not’).

Next, we have the syntax of the expression.  In English, the increasing strangeness is indicated through a device of compounding two instances of the ‘strange’ adjective in comparative form, using “and” as a linking conjunction.  But Omaha/Ponca, to my knowledge, has no comparative form of adjectives, no general word for “and”, and in any case would not use that compounded comparative device to indicate that a quality is increasing.

Ideally, I think an O/P speaker would reduplicate the adjective and add a continuant marker, probably “(h)náⁿ”, to get the sense of increasing quality.  Unfortunately, I don’t know that “ázhi” reduplicates.  We do have the word “àži-roⁿroⁿ” (“ázhi-thaⁿthaⁿ), which I have recorded as meaning ‘different kinds’.  I think “thaⁿthaⁿ” is a device that implies “reduplication of the preceding lexeme”.  I’m not sure if it is appropriate for this case, however.  Mostly it shows up with numbers and similar terms to suggest grouping according what is indicated by the relevant lexeme, e.g., “by threes”.

So for Alice’s exclamation, I can think of three possibilities.  If “ázhi”, ‘strange’, reduplicates, then we could have:

            ázhizhi hnaⁿ

Else if “thaⁿthaⁿ” works here, we could have:

            ázhi-thaⁿthaⁿ hnaⁿ

Else if we want to be conservative and fake the reduplication by using “shi”, ‘again’, we could have:

            shi ázhi hnaⁿ

If we are doing O/P contemporary with Lewis Carroll, we would want to add “i he” at the end, given that Alice is a female speaker and is speaking emphatically.  The emphatic part can’t really be conveyed by the story frame “cried Alice”, because there doesn’t seem to be any word for “cry out in emphatic speech” in O/P.  There is only “é”, ‘say’, and “báⁿ”, ‘scream’ or ‘yell’.  The latter wouldn’t be used to describe a manner of speech, so we would have to use the ‘say’ word.  Since it is a story of factually dubious content, we would want to use “biama” after ‘she said it’.  Alice, as the active subject, would probably take “ak ͪ a” as her article.  So my three guesses are:

            “Ázhizhi hnaⁿ i he!” á biama Alice ak ͪ a.

            “Ázhi-thaⁿthaⁿ hnaⁿ i he!” á biama Alice ak ͪ a.

            “Shi ázhi hnaⁿ i he!” á biama Alice ak ͪ a.

Of the three, I like the first one best if “ázhizhi” is actually a word.  Otherwise, I’d probably go with the third.  The best recourse would be to ask a native speaker.

If any Omaha-Poncanist can improve on this, suggestions are welcome!  Otherwise, we might have to concede this round to Sapir and Whorf.   :)

Cheers,
Rory