regrets and thoughts

ROOD DAVID S david.rood at COLORADO.EDU
Fri Apr 11 17:27:01 UTC 2014

Hi, everyone,
 	My family schedule for at least part of the summer has finally
settled down, and I regret that it precludes me from attending the SCLC
again this year.  The earliest I could get to Madison would be
mid-afternoon on Saturday, hardly the appropriate time for participating
in the meeting.

 	I am very much interested in what is decided about honoring Bob
Rankin, however, and in what might be done to make his huge contribution
to the history of Siouan and the structure of Dhegiah part of a permanent
record.  I know he has many papers that have never been published, as well
as many that are published here and there in places we don't always know
about.  As early as 1984, at the workshop that launched the Comparative
Dictionary project, I proposed a "collection of papers" volume that would
be a place for his work (and others), but that has never materialized.
 	Moreover, for the last few years Bob was the major player in the
evolution of the Comparative Dictionary.  As most of you know, Iren
Hartmann at the MPI-Leipzig is working on creating a usable digital verson
of the CSD.  Of the original 5 participants (John Koontz, Wes Jones, Dick
Carter, Rankin and me) in the project, I guess I'm the only one who is
still interested and available, so I'm going to work with Iren to see if
that can't be finalized and formalized.  There is quite a bit of urgency
here, because as many of you know, the structure of the MPI in Leipzig
will change dramatically in May of 2015, and they will likely no longer be
interested in supporting Iren's work.

 	If any of you have any thoughts on how best to move forward with
either Bob's legacy or the CSD, please discuss them at the meeting and
keep me informed.  I don't feel like I know Carolyn well enough to
approach her about any of this; perhaps one of you would be willing to
help with that.

 	Best wishes to all for a fruitful and fun meeting.

 	David

David S. Rood
Dept. of Linguistics
Univ. of Colorado