regrets and thoughts

Kathleen D. Shea kathleendshea at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 04:01:50 UTC 2014

Dear Siouanists,

I'm sorry to be so late registering my thoughts about all of this. I was away from home and tied up with family issues in California from December 23 to early March, and I arrived home to find 2 1/2 months of mail waiting for me and out-of-town visitors. I was able to attend the memorial for Bob on March 11 at KU. It was a very nice, fittingly informal gathering, with refreshments, some flowers, a display of pictures set out on some broadcloth blankets (traditional red and blue) given to him by the Kaws, and a stream of people who knew Bob. For me, it was good to see and talk with many old friends I hadn't seen in years. At the memorial, the chair of KU's linguistics department, Allard Jongman, and his wife, Joan Sereno, also a professor in the department, were there. I mentioned to them that Bob had many unpublished papers that he had generously shared with others that I would like to see published so that they would be readily accessible. Allard suggested that perhaps they could be published as a separate volume of the Kansas Working Papers in Linguistics (KWPL), where Bob has published before. I think that we could discuss this at the upcoming Siouan and Caddoan Languages Conference, and I would be happy to volunteer to spearhead this project if everyone thinks this is a good idea. John Boyle and Randy Graczyk have both said that they have almost all of Bob's published and unpublished papers. The call for papers for KWPL has just gone out, and I will forward it separately to the Siouan list for your information.

Concerning the publishing of a festschrift honoring Bob, I've often thought, even when he was still alive, that it would be a good idea, but I was not willing to take on the task myself. I agree with Catherine that this could appropriately "serve as a venue for some of the papers from the abandoned Comparative Siouan syntax project." I, too, would like to set aside some time at the conference to discuss this. At least an hour seems appropriate.

Even though Bob stressed the necessity of everyone having an executor for academic purposes in their will, he apparently didn't follow his own advice. I've been in touch with Carolyn, Bob's wife, and will be having lunch with her on Thursday. I offered to help her sort through his papers, but she says that she is not only having to decide what to do with his papers, but also having to separate them from his ham radio materials, old medical bills, old c.d.'s and music tapes, and so forth. She's somewhat overwhelmed right now. She mentioned that she thought it might be a good idea to give his papers to the Smithsonian. I told her that many in our field donate their papers and recordings to the APS. Anyway, she asked me to put out the word to the Siouan list, who I said were discussing this very thing, that she would welcome the help of a knowledgeable linguist in organizing his papers. (She says there's also much of his written correspondence, of an academic nature, that could be useful to others if organized.) By the way, at the memorial in March, I invited Carolyn to attend the Siouan and Caddoan conference, especially considering the fact that she's from Wisconsin, where it's being held, and has family there, saying that we'd all be delighted to have her attend, but she said that, for now, she just wants to work at getting her life "back to normal." All in all, it sounds to me as though she's doing fairly well in that respect since she's gone back to work as a biologist at KU full-time.

Kathy Shea

Sent from my iPad