oy ás’iŋ and iyúha

Rory Larson rlarson1 at UNL.EDU
Tue Apr 15 23:58:54 UTC 2014

Jan, we have about two or three ‘all’ words in Omaha, but none seem to be cognate to either of your two words.  They seem interesting enough to mention though.

                bruga – ‘all’, or ‘round’, like a circle.  This seems to suggest ‘the whole (round) camp of people’.  Distributive ‘all’, for animate or inanimate.

                gruba – ‘all’, or ‘all of it’.  This is one of about three Omaha word pairs we have found in which the consonants br-g- are reshuffled to gr-b- to give a different shade of meaning.  Collective ‘all’, for inanimate only.  Arguably, the other two such pairs also distinguish distributive br-g- from collective gr-b- the same way, though that’s a little less certain.

                wôⁿgire – ‘everybody’.  I think this is only for people, and it is very often used to suggest ‘we’, though it can be used for third person as well.  Impressionistically, I have the feeling that it became more popular in the 20th century, while bruga was used more commonly in the 19th.

Best,
Rory

From: Siouan Linguistics [mailto:SIOUAN at listserv.unl.edu] On Behalf Of Jan Ullrich
Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 9:14 AM
To: SIOUAN at LISTSERV.UNL.EDU
Subject: Re: oyás’iŋ and iyúha

> Jonathan Holmes wrote:
> As I understand it, "iyuha" is used only when refering to humans, whereas "oyasin" means all of creation.

Thank you Jonathan. Yes, this is one of the existing definitions that I am aware of, but it is contradicted by data from texts. In the text corpus neither iyúha nor oyás’iŋ are restricted the way suggested above. Both words can be found with human, non-human, animate and inanimate topics, and they both occur with collective and distributive plurals. This is consistent in texts recorded between 1830’s and 2013.

So I was wondering if cognates from other Siouan languages may shed some new light on the two words.

Jan