oy ás’iŋ and iyúha

George Wilmes george.wilmes at GMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 16 01:37:56 UTC 2014

Kennard’s Mandan texts have more than a dozen occurrences of “ikų́:ha”. (In
case the Unicode character doesn’t come through in this email, that’s
“ikuha” with a nasalized, accented, long “u”.) Kennard usually glossed it
as “all over” (in the sense of “everywhere”, as in “all over the earth”,
“all over his body”, etc.) but also once as “whole” (as in “the whole
day”). So it seems to have the sense of representing an entirety.

Might that be related to “iyúha”?

I haven't yet noticed anything like "oyás’iŋ".