Old Otoe-Missouria term for "bear"

Danker, Kathleen Kathleen.Danker at SDSTATE.EDU
Mon Apr 21 21:43:58 UTC 2014

Jill,
My grandparents lived in Campbell, Nebraska, pronounced Camel. I have always thought the pronunciation had something to do with the French-Canadian settlers in the area.
K.D. Danker

From: Siouan Linguistics [mailto:SIOUAN at listserv.unl.edu] On Behalf Of Greer, Jill
Sent: Friday, April 18, 2014 1:18 PM
To: SIOUAN at listserv.unl.edu
Subject: Re: Old Otoe-Missouria term for "bear"

Interesting!  Remember that as people like the American dialectologist William Labov taught us,  if there are variations in how to pronounce something within a language,  it’s rarely the case that anyone uses only one variation always,  and the other group only uses the alternate.  And the social context can subtly affect which one is chosen,  even below the conscious level of the speaker.   So, New York City speakers from a working class neighborhood might use the classic ‘r’ dropping X percent of the time,  say 65% (John Boyle can probably remember this exactly),  while middle class folks might only ‘drop their  [r]’ 30%, and upper class folks might only have it 5% of the time,  just as an example.

It always seemed to me since so many Otoe-Missouria had Ioway kin (and vice versa) that an absolute 100% consistency in using the alternate forms (like the inye vs. inge example here) would be very unlikely.  So beyond the possible differences in the persons’ hearing and transcription,  it might have been perfectly acceptable to pronounce the name both ways, at the same point in time.
  (In this part of SW Missouri, Sky,  your last name would traditionally be said more like the desert animal,  Camel ☺;  we had dear neighbors who I knew only by hearing their names spoken, and was surprised to find out later that the spelling had not one but two “silent letters”).  Then a new girl of the same surname came to  school, and she pronounced it Cam-bell,  (still the silent p), so I added that variation for her name, but that didn’t change the way I addressed the older folks at church....

Best,
Jill