Aho! (IO -ka in Imperatives)

Rory Larson rlarson1 at UNL.EDU
Tue Apr 22 01:46:40 UTC 2014

Sky, I was just reading through a text I found on the Ioway-Otoe language web site, under “Personal Narratives” (Worage), called Hinkuni, or “Grandmother”, by Julia Small, collected originally by Gordon Marsh in 1936 and retranscribed and retranslated by Jimm Goodtracks.  In it, I found the following quoted sentence:

                “Járe éwa čh^émi hñe ga.”

It is translated as

                “This is the one (that’s) surely to kill me.”  (Said by a woman who is wandering around lost, upon meeting a grizzly bear)

If I am following this correctly, that glosses as:

                Járe – This one

                éwa – that is the one who

                čh^émi – kill me  (causative form?)

                hñe – potential/future marker

                ga – (??) Is this the “surely” part?

Does that glossing seem correct to you?  And if so, does the ga at the end have anything to do with the -ka element you’ve been discussing?

Thanks,
Rory