citation/quotation conventions for list?

Greer, Jill Greer-J at MSSU.EDU
Fri Apr 25 19:05:35 UTC 2014

Hello all,
You may have already seen this since it was covered on NBC and the Wall Street Journal, but  since it involves many of our Siouan tribal peoples, and our heartland also,  here is a link about the current Cowboy-Indian Alliance including the Lakota reservations and the Ponca,  not to mention the many others in Alberta who are already affected by the Tar Sands extraction.  You can hear some singing on the video clips as people are riding their horses in D.C ☺.  Hats off for the courage of the protesters!
http://boldnebraska.org/day-one-reject-protect-cowboy-and-indian-alliance-rides-into-d-c/?akid=2.28937.H-vwKA&rd=1&t=1

Best,
Jill
From: Siouan Linguistics [mailto:SIOUAN at listserv.unl.edu] On Behalf Of Saul Schwartz
Sent: Friday, April 25, 2014 1:52 PM
To: SIOUAN at listserv.unl.edu
Subject: Re: citation/quotation conventions for list?

Dear David,

Touché. Sure, feel free to forward my post. Personally, I think of the List as a kind of public archive---I'm just not sure if everyone feels that way or not. Thus, in my opinion, people could cite posts just as they would anything they found online, e.g., name, date, title, link, whatever the style manual they're using requires. If, on the other hand, the convention is to check with someone before citing/quoting, then they may prefer some other arrangement---for example, they may be ok with being quoted but don't want their name to be cited.

It occurs to me, though, that in the draft of my paper, I didn't name names nor did I check with Bryan, Jimm, and Willem beforehand to see if they wanted to be credited or remain anonymous. So, that is clearly not an ethical option.

Unless a consensus emerges that members see the List as a kind of public archive (which is de facto what it is since it is archived online where anyone can access it), I will treat communication on the List as I would emails between colleagues (which is what it usually feels like) and therefore contact posters individually to request permission to cite/quote.

All best,
Saul