Washk=?UTF-8?Q?=C4=85_?=in Otoe-Missouria

Sky Campbell sky at LEGENDREADERS.COM
Wed Aug 20 18:15:03 UTC 2014

Thanks for the replies!  Sorry for the late reply.  Been having a few computer issues on this end and I'd hoped to be able to do more effective digging before I responded.  But my problems might not be fixed for another week (waiting on a part) so I thought I'd go ahead and respond anyway.

The Walks Strong or Always Strong definitely fits with what I am thinking for that name.  However I'd feel much better about that if I found more info on it.  Perhaps Dorsey has a few more "washką/iragrį washką" terms attached to other terms in his vocabulary slips.  Still, old translations of Great Walker or Great Marcher have me thinking that that is correct.  However I still can't ignore the old translation of Fast Dancer which I can JUST see could be formed out of Washką Manyi (wasi/washi (dance) + kąntha (fast) + manyi (always)).  While I am leaning heavily towards Always Strong (and other similar translations), there is the possibility that Fast Dancer could also be correct.  And I'm not one to declare a "winner" in a situation like this.  My determination is irrelevant.  The term/name means what it means and so long as there is a possibility of another translation, I am loathe to say "Yep, this is what it means."  I like to qualify things like that with "This is what it looks like it says, however it could also mean this..."  That's a hard line to walk in a field that likes answers to this sort of thing LOL.

But again, thanks for the replies and if anyone has any other information, I'd love to hear it.

Sky

From: Siouan Linguistics [mailto:SIOUAN at listserv.unl.edu] On Behalf Of Ardis Eschenberg
Sent: Monday, August 11, 2014 1:52 PM
To: SIOUAN at listserv.unl.edu
Subject: Re: Washką in Otoe-Missouria

In addition to ʻDo one’s best,ʻ washkoN is also often translated as ʻbe strong’ (for example, said to one who is grieving) and is used to connote strength, such as in ʻWashkoN tonga,’ meaning strong or muscular.

So, could also mean ʻWalks Strong’ or ʻAlways Strong’ for the name given.

Ardis Eschenberg, Ph.D.

Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs

Windward Community College

(808) 235-7443