Question re: Dhegiha and other Siouan quotatives

Mcbride, Justin jtmcbri at OSTATEMAIL.OKSTATE.EDU
Thu Feb 20 22:31:25 UTC 2014

That's not a very satisfying solution, though, because no other e-final
verbs in Ks undergo ablaut with aba or akHa. At least none that I can think
of. Maybe there are in Os; I'm not sure. I would suspect that ol' Occam
would just say that akHa and aba in Os-Ks also have a quotative
function--in addition to their hundreds of other functions!