Serial verbs

De Reuse, Willem WillemDeReuse at MY.UNT.EDU
Sat Feb 22 16:46:36 UTC 2014

Dear Jan:

Good hearing from you. Thanks for pointing this out. I do not now know why I could have said that V2 is always intransitive.  Clearly, V2 is transitive in example (11) in this paper!!! Oh my! Editors of this volume did not catch this either. Oh well, such is life, one makes mistakes that no one catches!

It does happen to be the case that in the corpus of data I used intransitive V2s were more common.    If I ever revise this, I would fix this, and try to reelicit every sentence with a native speaker myself.   Anyway, it did put Lakota on the map as a language with quite a bit of verb serialization.

All the best,

Willem

________________________________
From: Siouan Linguistics <SIOUAN at listserv.unl.edu> on behalf of Jan Ullrich <jfu at LAKHOTA.ORG>
Sent: Saturday, February 22, 2014 8:08 AM
To: SIOUAN at listserv.unl.edu
Subject: Re: Serial verbs

Dear Willem,

Thank you for sharing your interesting paper on Serial Verb in Lakota.
One thing that caught my eye is the statement that the V2 is always intransitive. In my experience compound verbs with transitive V2 are as common as those with intransitive V2.
I thought it might be something you would want to look at if you have a chance to revise the paper.

All the best

Jan