Aho!

Greer, Jill Greer-J at MSSU.EDU
Mon Feb 24 17:23:33 UTC 2014

HaNwe Pi, Jimm,

Good question, Jimm.  I used to think of those as just alternative words for speaking,  like to say versus to speak, to talk, etc., so you could choose either one according to context,  but perhaps that’s not the case.

If Dorsey has any cases that support Hamilton’s examples, that would really help!

Jill

From: Siouan Linguistics [mailto:SIOUAN at listserv.unl.edu] On Behalf Of Jimm Goodtracks
Sent: Saturday, February 22, 2014 8:52 AM
To: SIOUAN at listserv.unl.edu
Subject: Re: Aho!

Hánwe Pi:

Jill says:
I can't help but think that it's somehow ga- the locational prefix for something you can see, but not directly next to 1st and 2nd person (gaida 'over there  (but not yonder)', gaigu, etc. -  which could ultimately be related to gasuN also.  It might clarify actual location, or be used metaphorically for 'now/soon' even by itself.

Now applying that to the sentences,

æ-ka-ræ - say it, speak   = á re/  é ga re  (Say it now!)

jwæ-me-ka-ræ - doctor me    = swéhi re/  swémi ga re  (Doctor me now!)

e-cæ-ka-ræ - speak thou, tell   = i^cha re/  i^che ga re  (Speak now!)  ~~  [Jill, in the imperative, is it not ~ it^a re ?????]

wo-ug-ka-ræ - work thou    = wa^ún ne/  wa^ún ga re  (Work it now!)

ru-meg-ka-ræ - buy it    = rúmi re/ rúmi ga re  (Buy it now!)

It does seem to apply in application above.  Now, if that being so,  why o’ why does it not show up in any other texts, except Hamilton?  I suppose it could have been a spoken form of the period (pre- 1850’s) that was used and then dropped by latter generations.

It is noted in the dictionary, these applications that may produce a “ga”:

ga-...  prf.  just; exactly.  **SEE: gašún; gaída.   ga^é  v.i.  say as follows.   Hinkúñi ga^é: “Gá^e koíth^in hinnahá^e,” é ki,  My grandmother said as follows: “He is the one we were talking about.”   ga^é^a  v.t.  say as follows to another.   They said as follows to him…,  Ga^igáñe… ke.   Hintágwa ga^ihé^a: “Áannegradànwe hñe ke,” ihé ke,  I said as follows to my grandson: “You will give me (your own one) your attention,” I told him.   ga^íge; gáigé  v.i.  say that (in bad sence, slander, reproof).   Áre iwáhuŋe škúñi ke Wan^síge ga^igeñe ke,  Some people say that he does not know (anything, but in truth, the real facts support the opposite is true).   Héda wánsha xóñitan gawٕígena wakánda píškúñi warúdhe hñe ke,  And that old man preacher rebuked them, saying the devil was going to get them for their sins.   gá iráyin; ga^írayin  v.t.  think that; make up one’s mind.   Gá ihádayin  nu^á  kó^o ha^ún škúñi ke,  although, I have made up my mind, I have not yet done it (the work).   Sré hñe israyin je,  Do you think that you will go?  **SEE: iráyin; wáge.   gá iré  v.t.  think that; think as follows.   Tanhédan gratógre hinnáwišge  pí nu^áre ga iháre ke,  If we were all going together, I think that it would be good.  **SEE: iré; gaída.

    Jimm