Sad news

Catherine Rudin CaRudin1 at WSC.EDU
Mon Feb 24 20:13:41 UTC 2014

Terribly sorry to hear this.  Bob was a role model and mentor; he knew more about Dhegiha languages than anyone else on earth, and was always generously willing to help out those of us with less encyclopedic knowledge.  I've asked him many a dumb question and gotten undeservedly helpful replies.  And just an all around great guy too.  Siouan conferences won't be the same without him.  My condolences to his family, students, and the many friends who will miss him.
Catherine

>>> David Kaufman <dvkanth2010 at GMAIL.COM> 2/24/2014 2:01 PM >>>
Dear all,

It is with much sadness that I let you know that Dr. Robert Rankin has passed away. I don't have any further details at this time, but I can pass on more info once I know more. The Kaw Nation was just contacted within the last couple of hours about his passing.

I am extremely grateful that I got to visit Bob a couple of weeks ago.

Sincerely,

Dave

David Kaufman
Linguistic Anthropology PhD candidate, University of Kansas
Director, Kaw Nation Language Program