Question re: Dhegiha and other Siouan quotatives

Bryan James Gordon linguist at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Fri Feb 28 20:43:51 UTC 2014

(And of course, as the syntacticians will rightly point out, the
"command-raising" is not raising at all, but control. I'm more interested
in figuring what types of verbs-in-a-row there are, though, and avoiding
terminological debates.)

> Really, there are many different configurations of verbs-in-a-row with
> respect to which ones are conjugated for what. I say "verbs-in-a-row" in
> order to avoid the issue of precisely determining what are "serial verbs"
> as opposed to other types of constructions, and the separate but related
> issue of figuring out what the appropriate classification is in Siouan
> languages vis-à-vis linguistic theory in general.
>
> Some more examples from Umóⁿhoⁿ Íye and Páⁿka Íye:
>
> *"verb plus grammaticalised auxiliary"*
> I would include in this category any use of the positionals as an
> auxiliary, certainly as a continuative or future-tense marker, possibly as
> evidential too. *In these examples the main verb DOES receive subject
> inflection in Umóⁿhoⁿ Íye or Páⁿka Íye.*
> íye-akʰa "S/he [prominent figure] is speaking"
> itháe-miⁿkʰe "I am speaking"
> aⁿtháⁿe-taⁿgatʰaⁿ "we are going to speak" (taⁿgatʰaⁿ = te "potential" +
> aⁿgatʰaⁿ which is the "we" form of tʰaⁿ "standing positional")
>
> *"verb plus not-quite-as-grammaticalised auxiliary"*
> This includes examples like the one Sky just posted from Báxoje Ich^é, in
> which the auxiliary is something that can also serve as a main verb. *In
> these examples the main verb receives subject pronominals, but NOT
> plural/proximate marking in Umóⁿhoⁿ Íye or Páⁿka Íye.*
> íye naⁿzhíⁿi "S/he [prominent figure] is about to speak / is speaking as
> s/he stands" *not *íya naⁿzhíⁿi as it would be if the main verb were
> inflected for number/proximacy*
> anáⁿ'aⁿ maⁿbthíⁿ "I am listening as I walk" *not *naⁿ'áⁿ maⁿbthíⁿ as it
> would be if the main verb did not get its subject pronominal*
>
> *"desire-raising"*
> Umóⁿhoⁿ Íye and Páⁿka Íye raise the subject of the complement clause of
> gáⁿtha "desire" to the syntactic object of gáⁿtha. The complement verb gets
> subject inflection for the same argument, so the argument appears twice.
> Shkí wikáⁿbtha "I want you to come back" *not *gí wikáⁿbtha as it would
> be if the complement verb were uninflected, and not *shkí káⁿbtha as it
> would be if there were no raising*
> *As in the "not-quite-as-grammaticalised auxiliary" examples,
> "desire-raising" constructions have number/proximacy marking only on the
> final verb, not on the complement verb.*
> wachígaxe ewékoⁿbtha "I want them to dance" ("Adventures of the orphan",
> JOD 1890:601.5) *not *wachígaxa(i) ewékoⁿbtha as it would be if the
> complement verb had number marking*
>
> *"command-raising"*
> Unlike "desire-raising", the complement of ágazhi "command" is not
> inflected at all.
> unáⁿ'aⁿ aⁿthágazhi "you told me to hear about it" *not *uánaⁿ'aⁿ
> aⁿthágazhi as it would be if the complement verb were inflected*
>
> The distinction between the "desire-raising" and "command-raising"
> categories is what I was referring to with my vague talk about
> subcategorisation. I expect there are many more members of both categories,
> [...]

Bryan James Gordon, MA
Joint PhD Program in Linguistics and Anthropology
University of Arizona