Question re: Omaha-Ponca

Rory Larson rlarson1 at unl.edu
Mon Jan 27 21:29:55 UTC 2014

Hi Dave,

Generally, ðą is used for globular, inanimate things.  Body parts are inanimate.  Heads, eyes, eggs, balls, etc. would be classed as ðą.  It can also be used for areas of limited extent, e.g. a field or yard.  It seems to contrast with things that are standing or lying linear, or specific points, or unbounded extent.  Ardis can probably give you more detail.

Best,
Rory