Analysis of an Ioway name

Jimm G. GoodTracks jgoodtracks at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jul 2 16:31:33 UTC 2014

Can anyone figure out the analysis of the Ioway name of a small boy, who with his father, traveled to Europe in the early 1800’s with George Catlin.  The name was written as seen below and given the gloss of “Commanding General.”  The word “wadánwe” could very well be the first part, but I come up with nothing for the last part of the name.  There is: búkara  n.  dry (as a river or creek) (LzH),  which I do not believe to fit here.

Watawebukana,  “Commanding General”,  ÑíyuMañi (Raining’s son).

wadánwe ~ wádanwe  n/adj/v.i.  give, pay attention; mindfull(ness), regardful; heed, take heed; aware, be aware; note, take notice; concentration.  **SEE: wadána.