Analysis of an Ioway name

Jimm G. GoodTracks jgoodtracks at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jul 2 18:23:49 UTC 2014

Trying to get “wexa” out of “wata....” is a bit of a stretch.  But I can see a “eta” with a “w-“ worked in there:   éta; éta (GM); étada  adv.  beyond; farther away.  Dagúra^unna étada ramínada  wáŋe t^ána ranáxun škúñi je,  Why did you sit farther away where you could not hear the speaker?  Then I  can see a “wirúgranna” following.

From: Campbell, Sky
Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2014 12:10 PM
To: SIOUAN at listserv.unl.edu
Subject: Re: Analysis of an Ioway name

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I based my "wexa" idea on the name above that one in Catlin's book which he has as "Wa-tan-ye" with the French being, "Celui qui est toujours en avant" (one who is always ahead).  I immediately thought of the name "Wexa Nayį" (Standing Ahead).  Plus the alternate spellings in parentheses helped me put that together.  The character "ä̇" gave me the idea that the first syllable in those names needed to be "we".

Sky Campbell

Language Director

Otoe-Missouria Tribe

(580) 723-4466, ext. 111