Carominga

Mcbride, Justin jtmcbri at OSTATEMAIL.OKSTATE.EDU
Fri Jul 18 22:46:25 UTC 2014

Howdy, Jimm,

I wonder about the division of syllables into Caro and Monga. Is it
possible that it could be Ca Romonga? I ask becasue, if it were a Kaw name,
I'd think it might have something to do with kke, 'turtle,' which I'm
pretty sure I've seen spelled as Ca in names before. I would also look at
the r as representing either Ks y or l, and -ga part at the end (if it's
not been switched, as Sky suggests, which I think is probable) as possibly
representing like the Ks syllable j^e, which seems to happen fairly
frequently in the names I've looked at. In short, I would expect something
like kke yaNmaNj^e, which doesn't ring any bells at all in Ks. Now, I don't
know much at all about IOM, lexically or phonologically--maybe this makes
even less sense in IOM--but thought I just might throw that out there as
food for thought.

All the best,
-Justin