Carominga

Sky Campbell sky at LEGENDREADERS.COM
Sat Jul 19 02:02:49 UTC 2014

That is actually the eventual goal.  I'm still getting my head wrapped around things like "phonotactic constraint logic" and the like but I've been working with FLEx a LOT over the past year and while I don't have as much as I'd like entered in there, I'm coming up on 4000 entries (and I still have a loooooong ways to go).  I hope to either tie directly into the FLEx database somehow (will have to work with the developers for that sort of thing) and if that doesn't work, I figure to at least be able to parse something like the XML files that FLEx can export.  Then I'll be able to do as you suggest and take all the permutations and look for matches :).

Sky

From: Siouan Linguistics [mailto:SIOUAN at listserv.unl.edu] On Behalf Of Mcbride, Justin
Sent: Friday, July 18, 2014 8:17 PM
To: SIOUAN at listserv.unl.edu
Subject: Re: Carominga

When you showed me that program last year, Sky, I remember thinking, "Now, THIS is awesome!" As a guy who, for years, was asked questions like, "What's my Granddad's name mean?" on a weekly basis, only to be handed a string of indecipherable 'ah's, 'eh's, and hyphens with a few consonants mixed in for good measure, I would have relished the opportunity to see a list the possible permutations presented at once. Now, if you could just build in some phonotactic constraint logic and SQL interaction with some sort of lexical database to provide suggestions--you know, the easy stuff--you'd have the proverbial better mousetrap!  :)  Ah, it's fun to dream!

By the way, the name Kke Leze was the name of one of the last living male L1 Ks speakers. -jtm