Fwd: Call for papers (edited volume): Siouan languages, in memory of Robert Rankin

Bryan James Gordon linguist at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Sun Jun 1 15:09:52 UTC 2014

Advances in the Study of Siouan Languages and Linguistics (dedicated to the
memory of Robert Rankin)
Call for papers

At the 34th annual Siouan and Caddoan Languages and Linguistics Conference
in Madison, Wisconsin, attendees unanimously approved a series of proposals
to honor the contributions and legacy of our late colleague Robert Rankin,
including curation, digitization and archiving of materials he left behind;
a volume of his unpublished papers; the publication of the Comparative
Siouan Dictionary; and the subject matter of this call for papers, a volume
of advances in the study of Siouan languages and linguistics dedicated to
his memory. We are looking into publishing through the open-access Language
Science Press in Berlin, who can make this volume easily and freely
accessible. Catherine Rudin and I have agreed to organize and edit the
volume and its peer-review process.

Particularly welcome are contributions from Dr. Rankin's collaborators,
students, consultants and community-based programs with whom he worked or
who have used his work. However, in light of Dr. Rankin's dedication to
Siouan languages and linguistics in general, we welcome contributions
including theoretical, descriptive, community-based or otherwise applied
work based on any and all Siouan languages, from any and all approaches,
frameworks and methodologies. The proposed volume also welcomes papers that
were developed for the Comparative Siouan Grammar volumes we planned
several years ago.

Abstracts:
To give us an idea of the number and type of submissions to expect, please
send us a brief abstract of your proposed chapter by 30 June 2014. Please
submit at most one individual and one joint abstract per author. Abstracts
should be no more than one page in length. Additional data and references
may be attached on additional pages, but are not required. Please include
your proposed title, name(s) and institutional or community affiliation(s)
above your abstract text. Please submit abstracts to both me (
linguist at email.arizona.edu) and Dr. Rudin (carudin1 at wsc.edu), no later than
30 June 2014. Do not submit your abstract or other volume-related
communication to the list; address all communication to Dr. Rudin and me,
unless it is truly a matter for the consideration of the entire listserv.

Peer review:
When submitting your abstract, please indicate whether you will be willing
to serve as a reviewer for one to three of your colleagues' submissions. An
expedited process of review and revision will begin on 1 November 2014.

Non-contributor peer review:
We welcome peer-review volunteers who do not plan to submit chapters. If
you would like to volunteer, please provide your name, institutional and/or
community affiliation(s), and your relationship with Dr. Rankin or his
work. In particular, please indicate clearly whether you would feel most
comfortable reviewing comparative/historical theoretical, non-comparative
theoretical, descriptive, community-based or otherwise applied submissions,
as well as any other limitations or preferences you feel are important.

Chapter submissions:
Conference attendees approved a five-month period for the collection of
papers for this volume, in order not to let the honoring of Dr. Rankin's
memory be delayed indefinitely. Because peer review will be implemented
subsequent to chapter submission, and because the open-access publication
format imposes no limit on the number of chapters, all who submit abstracts
should plan to submit a chapter. Chapters must be received by Dr. Rudin and
me in our email inboxes by 31 October 2014.

Chapter format:
All submissions are restricted to twenty (20) pages, single-spaced, in
12-point Times New Roman font, on 8 1/2" x 11" pages with 1-inch margins.
We ask for two copies of your submission: one in PDF to ensure proper
rendering of tables, figures and graphics, and one in LaTeX, DOC, DOCX or
ODT format to enable editing. Large (>1/2 page) tables, figures and
graphics of the sort Dr. Rankin often included, and appendices and
references, do not count towards the 20-page limit, but should not be
gratuitous.

Dialogicity and the Rankin theme:
We highly encourage contributors to share their work with each other and to
enrich our volume with links to one another's and to Dr. Rankin's work.
Given the timing of our deadlines we also find it worthwhile to point out
that it may be useful to submit your abstract to LSA and/or SSILA and to
present your intended submission at those conferences if you will be
attending this year, as they will take place during the peer-review and
revision period, and may be useful for improving, developing and propelling
forward your work.

Snowball method:
Please forward this call as quickly as possible to any interested parties
you know who may not have received this call.

About the open-access format:
Conference attendees overwhelming expressed the sentiment that open access
is in keeping with Dr. Rankin's career-long commitment to sharing his work
and wisdom. It will additionally make copies much easier to come by, not
only for academics, but for community-based programs with no access to
university library systems. Although the Language Science Press primarily
functions as an online publisher, they will custom-bind and ship the volume
to anybody who wishes to pay associated expenses.

Volume-related communication:
Please do not send your volume-related communication to the SIOUAN
listserv. Address all communication to Dr. Rudin and me, even if it means
erasing the "To:" field to avoid spamming the list. There will be a large
amount of projects of similar size and scope to this one all happening at
once, and we do not want to bother people who have taken on other
responsibilities (or none) with organizational details, modifications,
requests, suggestions and complaints meant for us.
Timetable:
Abstract submission: June 30
Paper submission: October 30
Review submission: December 31
Final submission of revised papers: February 28