2015 SCLC in Louisiana

Jimm G. GoodTracks jgoodtracks at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jun 19 21:27:31 UTC 2014

Thanks, Dave, for the information, that allows us all something to think on.  jimm

From: David Kaufman
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2014 3:58 PM
To: SIOUAN at listserv.unl.edu
Subject: Re: 2015 SCLC in Louisiana

Jimm,

Marksville is in about the middle of Louisiana - it's where the Biloxis ended up, with the Tunicas and Ofos, after being forced west from Mississippi.  The nearest largest airport would be New Orleans, about 2.5 hours away, while smaller airports would be in Baton Rouge and Shreveport.  I have not actually driven down there yet, but from northern Oklahoma it's about a 10-hour drive.  I'd probably stay in Dallas or so overnight on the way down from here if I'm driving.  Not sure if Marksville has a commercial airport, but I can find out.

Food for thought: I don't know how everyone feels about day trips, but the big archaeology site of Poverty Point would only be a couple hours away from Marksville and would easily make a day trip.  I haven't seen it yet myself.  It dates back to ca. 1500 BCE.  (I talk about it in my dissertation.)

I will not be able to talk to John Barbry until next week - I am headed to Council Grove, KS tomorrow for the weekend for the Washunga Days Pow-Wow with the Kaw Nation and will not return until Sunday.  Will be busy with the Pow-Wow until then.

Dave

David Kaufman, Ph.D.

Director, Kaw Nation Language Program