vanishing Siouan languages

Rory Larson rlarson1 at UNL.EDU
Mon Jun 30 15:07:00 UTC 2014

I'm not familiar with Ethnologue, but I notice on the page cited that they have only three branches of Siouan, rather than four.  Together with Mandan and Missouri River Siouan (Crow and Hidatsa), they indicate one big branch called "Mississippi Valley-Ohio Valley Siouan".  Included in that are the traditional Mississippi Valley Siouan languages only: Dakotan, Dhegihan, Hoocank and Chiwere.  Biloxi, Tutelo and Ofo are members of Southeastern Siouan, which is also called Ohio Valley Siouan.  Did someone at SIL decide that these two branches should be merged into one, and then forget to include the members of Ohio Valley Siouan?

Best,
Rory

From: Siouan Linguistics [mailto:SIOUAN at listserv.unl.edu] On Behalf Of Iren Hartmann
Sent: Monday, June 30, 2014 6:15 AM
To: SIOUAN at LISTSERV.UNL.EDU
Subject: vanishing Siouan languages

Dear all,

I was just consulting the Ethnologue for some language codes, when I noticed that Biloxi, Tutelo and Ofo have completely vanished from the Siouan languages tree:

http://www.ethnologue.com/subgroups/siouan-catawban

I was confused by the number 14 in the header and noticed quickly that these languages are missing. I tried searching for them but they seem to have vanished from the Ethnologue all together.
Would any of you have any idea why this is? Just to make sure, I checked the printed version (2009) in our library and all three of them are listed in there.

Thanks and best,
Iren