Question re: Dhegiha and other Siouan quotatives

Jan Ullrich jfu at LAKHOTA.ORG
Sat Mar 1 10:31:22 UTC 2014

> Several people have noted (not sure whether published or not) that Lakota
complements
> to verbs that require same-subject for both verbs (e.g.
> 'try') do not allow affixes on the first verb, while those which permit a
change of subject (like 'want')
> do require that both verbs be marked.

I have been under the impression that there are only two Lakota verbs that
require both verbs in a complex predicate to be conjugated. They are chin
'to want' and okihi 'to be able to'.
If there is data pointing to other verbs that behave like this it would be
useful to know.

Jan