Question re: Dhegiha and other Siouan quotatives

Mirzayan, Armik Armik.Mirzayan at USD.EDU
Sat Mar 1 21:48:42 UTC 2014

David,

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "requires object affixes on the embedded verb". I will try to  fill in a few details here, the way I understand it,  and hopefully these are correct ....

The auxiliary verb ší takes 2 participants, a subject and an object (one person doing the telling, and the other being told to do thing in the preceding verb), as in:

  Tȟabškál  mašípi.     "They asked/told me to play ball"
  Héčhuŋ   wičhúŋšipi    "We asked/told them to do that."
  Oyúspe niší.         "He asked/told you to catch it"

The first verb (lower, embedded ... or whatever one wants to call it) can be intransitive or transitive.  If it that first verb is transitive and you need to put an object affix on it, then yes, as you say, that object affix will go on the first verb.

   Óničiye waší.     "I asked him to help you."

You can have object affixes (different objects) on both the first verb and ší, as in:

  Owíchayuspe maší.     "She asked me to catch them."

For your example of "realize", I am thinking that I would use something like ablézA (?). The sentence structure for this verb would be different from ší however.  With ablézA I would probably use a complementizer article type thing, as in these sentences:

  Yaglúšna kiŋ awábleze.      "I realize that you made an error".

  Hé wašté kiŋ awábleze.      "I realize that that's good."

You can also use  "čha" with ablézA, as in:

   Wičhákȟe šni čha awábleze.    "I realized that he was not truthful."

-Armik
Armik Mirzayan - Languages and Linguistics
The University of South Dakota
414 E. Clark St., Vermillion, SD, USA 57069
Armik.Mirzayan at usd.edu