[Possible SPAM] Re: Aho!

Sky Campbell sky at LEGENDREADERS.COM
Thu Mar 6 04:30:11 UTC 2014

Yes, "naha" is an article going along the lines of "the", "that which", "the
one who", etc.

You've given me a lot to think about and a lot of terminology that I'll have
to wrap my head around since I'm not familiar with it.

My assistants and I spent over 3 hours today tracking down all the instances
of Merrill and Hamilton's use of this -ga/-ka and mapped them to a grid on a
large dry-erase board in an effort to try to find some kind of common
element among all of them.  Unfortunately we had no luck.  We tried to think
of everything we could think of when it came to those verbs.  Were they
transitive or intransitive?  Animate or inanimate objects?  Singular or
plural?  Was the object "known" to the speaker (meaning was the speaker
referring to something specific...sort of along the lines of the idea of
"that" I mentioned earlier)?  Of course we know that we aren't looking for
every possible criteria since there are many we don't know about (like some
of the ideas you mentioned).

I've mentioned several of our theories such as "that", "now", "in like
manner", etc.  But while we were plugging away I was perusing Dorsey's
vocabulary slips and found this:

k'a (masc) (adverb) - of action in past time, not continuing into the
present

And the example he gives is:

Swagaxe k'a - you did write then (but you do not write now)

So in this context, I wonder if perhaps it could be along the lines of (to
use an example from before) "Look at the snake" perhaps with the idea that
you were looking at the snake before but aren't now and I want you to do so
again.  This may not be correct though since Dorsey mentions "see also" and
has the endings "ke", "ki", etc. so this may represent the end of a
statement and not simply an adverb that can be used where needed.

Dorsey also has a rather enigmatic term "kare" (or perhaps "k'are") where he
mentions "It seems to imply that the thought or desire was not gratified"
but he doesn't just list this term with that explanation but rather just
uses it with examples such as:

Ji kare hįrawi - we thought that he would have come hither (but he did not
come)

I'm noting that this is after the verb that they want to attach this to
which matches the placement of the enigmatic -ga/-ka.  So along these lines,
perhaps it could be "Look at the snake" with the idea of I wanted you to
look at the snake but you didn't so I am requesting/commanding again since
you didn't do it before.

Yet another couple theories to add to this :).

Sky