Fw: MARK

Jimm Goodtracks jgoodtracks at GMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 13 13:08:57 UTC 2014

From: BARBARA SALVATORE
Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2014 12:57 AM
To: Catherine Rudin ; iren.hartmann at gmail.com ; jgoodtracks at gmail.com ; rankin at ku.edu ; rlarson1 at unl.edu
Cc: linguist at email.arizona.edu ; vstabler at esu1.org ; dvkanth2010 at gmail.com ; jekoontz at msn.com ; greer-j at mssu.edu ; jtmcbri at ostatemail.okstate.edu
Subject: Re: MARK

PLEASE FIND UPDATES ON MARK, and the Appreciation Dance the Elders and Students have planned for him. ALL DETAILS follow. Thank you very much for your time and consideration.
Barbara
APPRECIATION DANCE FOR MARK WAKUNI-SWETLAND, MARCH 30th , Indian Center, Lincoln

THANK YOU FOR FOLLOWING UP MARGARET! I AM JUST SENDING THIS OUT TO EVERYONE TODAY! your timing is excellent :)
March 13, 2014
Hello to friends and students of WagOnze Uthixide, Professor Mark Awakuni-Swetland.
In February, I visited with him at his home with MiSebe (Arlene Walker) and he was in very good spirits. Of course he spent a lot of time talking about the UmoNhoN language and quizzing us, and correcting us, and telling us how important it was to learn the UmoNhoN alphabet and remember how to spell things so that we could be good teachers and pass it on. He gave us watermelon rind pickles that he and his sister in law had canned the day before. But he could not see our faces or the computer screen, as his vision is very blurry and he gets headaches. Later that weekend we were all at the Gourd dance and Hand-games at the Lincoln Indian Center and this is what he publicly shared:
He stood to tell us: “the leukemia has flared up, and travelled up my spinal fluid into my brain. Which is why when Donna asked me questions and I gave her no answers, or incoherent, really strange ones, she started to suspect something. The doctors here in Lincoln found carotid arteries, but sent me to my doctors in Omaha for the cancer, and they found it there in my spine. I am undergoing treatments.
The Western doctors have told me to get my affairs in order. And my Indian doctor tells me there is NO doom and gloom around me and that I still have work to do on this earth that is undone. So I wanted to say that much.”
He excused himself to go home to rest and take medicines.
Later, when they drew the raffle ticket for the hand-made star quilt, Mark’s sister-in law won it!
Afterwards, our elder speakers talked together and announced that they want to host an Appreciation Gourd Dance and Hand-Games to honor Mark. They wanted me to get in touch with all the students that I know.

Donna and her sister want to thank everyone for planning this, and they are very grateful.
They are going to be organizing food and meal plans, confirm the hosts etc. The Dance will be held on Sunday, March 30th.

They would like if anyone who can, to come and help with planning on Sunday.
PLEASE CONTACT ARLENE WALKER (MiSebe) by phone or text (402)314-6482

To reply to this email, do not hit REPLY ALL
To reply to me, email  bighorsemail at yahoo.com  (Barbara)
or you can message Arlene Walker or Barbara Salvatore on facebook
PLEASE Do NOT post this to facebook walls while we are still planning
A flyer will be posted to facebook when it is ready
Please tell / bring any friends or family members that would like to help and show their appreciation.
ATTACHED IS A FULL LIST OF WHAT IS NEEDED. CASH DONATIONS ACCEPTED AS WELL. SEE DETAILS BELOW!
WagOnze Uthixide has been fighting this leukemia a long time. He has also studied, taught and been dedicated to the Siouan languages, the Omaha, and to his students with his heavy load of work and projects. It is our time to give back, and to thank him for his generosity and all that he has shared.
Indian Center, 1100 Military Road, Lincoln. (402) 438-5231)
I hope you can join us!
WibthahoN!
Barbara Salvatore
Omaha Language Class/ UNL 2011- 2012
Ponca Language Educator – Ponca Tribe of Nebraska
bighorsemail at yahoo.com /(607)-287-0327
PO BOX 414, Verdigre,NE 68783

IN LINCOLN - PLEASE CONTACT ARLENE WALKER (MiSebe) by phone
or text (402)314-6482 (she likes texts )
or
Indian Center, 1100 Military Road, Lincoln
(402) 438-5231)

APPRECIATION DANCE FOR MARK WAKUNI-SWETLAND, MARCH 30th , Indian Center, Lincoln

NEEDED:
TO PURCHASE
Coffee – large containers ground coffee (to serve ongoing throughout the event)
5 large jugs Juice
Fried Chicken – 3 boxes
Penny Candy, lollipops, snack size bars – for putting round the drum for kids
PAPER GOODS-
Plates
Soup bowls
Cups
Spoons
Forks
Bull Durham Tobacco

TO MAKE – VOLUNTEERS NEEDED- To make these dishes
(make at home and bring in your own serving pots, dishes or disposable trays)
LARGE pot Vegetable soup
LARGE pot Chicken soup
Fry Bread
Cakes – at least 6 for Cake Walk
Big Serving Trays of:

Potato Salad – 2 people make
Macaroni Salad – 1 person
Platter Baked Beans- 1 person
Platter Green Salad- 1 person

ALSO NEEDED – ITEMS FOR GIVE-AWAY – Suggestions:
Blankets
Shawls
Pillows
Gift Baskets- will be assembled from donated goods such as-
Towels
Toiletries (for men or women)
Food gifts
Jewelry
Framed pictures
Toys (for children)
Kitchen ware
Coffee maker
Pots, pans
Food Items (canned, boxed, nonperishables, snacks)
Fruit baskets
Anything that you feel is an appropriate gift

CASH DONATIONS  ALWAYS WELCOME –
PLEASE contact ARLENE WALKER AT 402-314-6482 in LINCOLN

If Long Distance and mailing CHECKS, please send to me
(B. SALVATORE, PO BOX 414, VERDIGRE, NE 68783) BY MARCH 25th,
so purchases can be made by March 29th.

IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR SUGGESTIONS -
PLEASE EMAIL me at bighorsemail at yahoo.com
or CALL me at 607-287-0327

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR GENEROUS SUPPORT
of WagoNze MARK AWAKUNI-SWETLAND at this time!