Number 'nine' in Chiwere.

Sky Campbell sky at LEGENDREADERS.COM
Sun Mar 30 01:56:43 UTC 2014

Yes, I've seen that.  With all the talk of the possible origin of "sanke" and the tribal member giving me the term "nanye", it has my mind whirring :).

Sky

From: Siouan Linguistics [mailto:SIOUAN at listserv.unl.edu] On Behalf Of Emilia Aigotti
Sent: Friday, March 28, 2014 4:42 PM
To: SIOUAN at listserv.unl.edu
Subject: Re: Number 'nine' in Chiwere.

Did you see this entry in the online Chiwere dictionary? It gives some similarities to other Siouan languages. Not sure if this is helpful. Searching my other documents...

šánke; ^sánke (GM); šáŋke (DOR) n. nine. [W. shaatgówi; OmP. shanka; Os. shanka; gdhébdhantsewindhinge; L/D. shakówin; H. sháhpuw; M. kú:pa; T. sa:kom; Of. fáckumi].

Emilia Garcia

  _____