Lakota/Dakota questions

Jan Ullrich jfu at LAKHOTA.ORG
Tue May 20 05:10:10 UTC 2014

David,

Below are the Lakota translations of the sentences.

Sentence (2) has at least three possible translations, depending on what you mean.

Let me know if you need more specific annotation for any of the words or any other additional info.

Jan

1) This morning I went hunting.

Híŋhaŋni wakhúl omáwani.

morning / shooting things / I walked about

2) I cannot cook

a) Lol’íȟaŋpi uŋmáspe šni. – I don’t know how to cook.

Cooking / I know how / not

b) Lol’íwaȟ’aŋ owákihi šni. – I can’t cook (I am unable at the moment or under given circumstances).

I cook / I can / not

c) Tókheni(š) lol’íwaȟ’aŋ šni. – There is no way I could cook (under given circumstance).

In no way / I cook / not

(Also, there are a number of verbs for “to cook“, although the one I used is most common today.)

3) I came chasing someone.

Tuwá khuwá awáhi.

Someone / chasing him / I brought him