FW: Siouan accent and long syllables

Bryan James Gordon linguist at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Thu May 22 03:08:26 UTC 2014

I'm aware of good arguments that vowel length doesn't really function to
distinguish word pairs in Ioway, Otoe and Missouria, and very rarely serves
a distinguishing function in Omaha or Ponca either. However, what I hear in
listening to recordings and speakers for both groupings is a bimodal
distribution of length on unaccented first syllables. If length is ever
"really" distinctive, it's probably first and foremost on unaccented first
syllables. At some point I'll get my act together and provide quantitative
support for all this speculation.
BJG