Lakota/Dakota questions

voorhis at WESTMAN.WAVE.CA voorhis at WESTMAN.WAVE.CA
Tue May 20 03:08:52 UTC 2014

David,

In the local Dakota (southwest Manitoba), 'go' and 'come' take subjects
only on the second (the go-or-come) verb, e.g. Xtanihan wakhuwa yai he.
  'Did you go hunting yesterday?'  'Can' takes subject marking on both
verbs, e.g. Iyamayakipha oyakihi he.  'Can you wait for me?' with verbs
iyakipha/e 'to wait for' and okihi 'to be able to'.

Please forgive the hasty transcription.  If some pronunciation is
uncertain just ask me and I'll explain it.

Paul