Lakota/Dakota questions

voorhis at WESTMAN.WAVE.CA voorhis at WESTMAN.WAVE.CA
Wed May 21 16:35:18 UTC 2014

Dave,

Xtanihan wakhuwa yai he.  'Did you go hunting yesterday?'
xtanihan 'yesterday'
wa- indefinite object 'something, someone'
khuwa 'hunt' transitive verb
ya- 'you' subject
i 'go and arrive, go (perfective)'
he question marker

Iyamayakipha oyakihi he.  'Can you wait for me?'
iya-kiphe/a 'wait for' transitive verb
ma- 'me' object
ya- 'you' subject
o-kihi 'be able to'
ya- 'you' subject
he question marker

iya-kiphe/a is evidently composed historically of i- 'by means of',
a-phe/a 'await', and ki- 'to, for' (benefactive).  I'm not sure how
aware contemporary speakers are of all the components in this verb, though.

o-kihi appears to consist historically of o- 'in' and kihi 'grow up
(?)'.  Again, I'm not sure how many speakers would recognize this etymology.

Paul